Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS) Application Procedure for Applicants
Visit this website. You MUST enter the site address as follows:
**Please note this site / portal is not administered by the Ocean Township Police Department**
Ocean Township Police Department ORI# is NJ0152000
(You will NOT be able to complete the FARS online application WITHOUT THIS ORI#)
Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. When completing the application you will need the email addresses of two (2) reputable references other than relatives.
You MUST appear at the Ocean Police Department to pay for your INITIAL FID Card and / or Pistol Purchase Permits. Initial FID card fee is $5.00 and Pistol Permit fee is $2.00 each and payable ONLY in the form a money order. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of the background as per NJAC 13:54-1.4.
**Print a copy of the application and the confirmation page and bring in with you**
The new online application is APPLICANT DRIVEN. If the applicant makes a mistake while applying, they simply can RE-APPLY. The applicant should understand that all application fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. The applicant MUST utilize the correct ORI (NJ0152000) for the Ocean Township Police Department. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers for yourself and references as well as the best email address for yourself and references.
- FARS is taking the place of the STS 033 form. Applicants can apply for all the same options as the paper application form with the exception of Permits to Carry and Multiple handgun Purchase Exemptions.
- This system has been mandated by the Governor’s Office to expedite the process and provide accountability for the length of time an application may take to process.
- The applicant MUST enter their “Official Name” as it appears on their Driver’s License or formal form of identification. They cannot utilize simplified versions of their names (Joe vs. Joseph).
- Applicants must enter accurate phone numbers and emails for themselves and their references. Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
- After the applicant enters all required information, a REVIEW PAGE appears where the applicant can edit all information entered into the application prior to final submission.
- An INITIAL APPLICANT will be able to PRINT OUT their FINGERPRINT FORM at the end of the application, and are directed to do so.
- The applicant should also print both the confirmation page and application at the end of the process. This is for quick reference in the event of an issue.
- For additional firearms regulations and procedural information, please visit the New Jersey State Police website: http://www.njsp.org/about/firearms.html
Firearms Applicant Fee Schedule
Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card STS-033: Money order payable to: Township of Ocean in the amount of $5.00. **We do not accept cash**
Application to Purchase a Handgun/STS-033: Money order payable to: Township of Ocean in the amount of $2.00 per handgun permit. **We do not accept cash**
Application for a Duplicate Firearms Purchaser Identification Card/STS-033: There is no fee for a Duplicate Firearms Purchaser Identification Card.
Firearms Application forms can still be obtained through Police Dispatch 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. Police dispatch is located at police headquarters (50 Railroad Ave. in Waretown, NJ 08758)
You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this new process. Once your application is complete, an Ocean Township Police representative will contact you to retrieve your FID card and / or pistol purchase permit documents.
If you have any further questions in reference to Firearms Application Investigations, you may also contact:
Det. Andrew Risden at 609-693-4007 (Email: ARisden@twpoceannj.gov)
Kimberly Solimine at 609-693-4007 (Email: DBAdmin@twpoceannj.gov)
NJSP Firearms Unit at 609-882-2000 ext. 2060